Thursday, November 28, 2013

Author Spotlight - Sue Fortin

Today we welcome Harper Impulse author Sue Fortin into our Minxy Spotlight. Welcome Sue!

1. Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.
Hi, I live in West Sussex in the UK, right on the south coast and when not writing, I’m mum to four children, although my eldest moved into his own place earlier this year. I work part-time at a local higher education college where I support the students in their learning.

2. What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th?(Nora only!)
United States of Love is my debut novel and I’ve just finished writing my second novel. Book Three is plotted out.

3. Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?
I give myself short time frames for writing. For example, an hour to write 500 words or half an hour to write a particular scene. I work better under pressure and deadlines so this method suits me.

4. What is your top promo tip for other authors?
For myself, I prefer in-direct promo. I like to talk around my book, maybe about setting and share some photos or talk about the research. I think it engages readers without being pushy.

5. How does writing fit into your day? Or does your day fit in around your writing?
As I mentioned above, I work part-time at a local college and I have three children living at home, so my writing has to fit in around my other commitments. I’ve recently started a new routine of getting up early and having an hour’s writing. So far it’s working as it means I can write every day, even on a work day.

6. Is there a book you haven't written yet that you're dying to? What genre?
The book I’m currently working on is Romantic Suspense which is a new sub-genre for me but I would also love to write a historical. I just need to make plenty of time for research first.

7. Could you be friends with any of your heroines?
I could definitely be friends with Anna from United States of Love. For a start we have a son the same age and, also, she lives local to me – plenty of opportunities for coffee and a natter. I know also she’d look out for me and be there through thick and thin, she would be the perfect best friend.

8. Have you ever written a hero you'd be happy to run off with?
I could easily run off with Tex from United States of Love, hopefully he’d take me over to Texas where we could spend time together at his family’s ranch. I think hanging out with his brothers and their wives would be great fun.

9. Do you write to music, or with the tv on in the background, or do you need complete silence?
Ideally, I like to write in silence, but with a busy household it doesn’t always happen.

10. Writing snacks – what are your favourites?
I feel I should say something healthy, like, bananas or nuts but I’m going to confess to chocolate and cake.


UNITED STATES OF LOVE

Since splitting from her husband, single mum Anna Barnes is enjoying her new found freedom and independence.

However, she didn't bank on working for Tex Garcia – or the sparks that fly between them. The gorgeous American chef is getting the locals hot under the collar and not just because of his culinary prowess!

One problem: Tex can't commit and women pass through his life like dishes going out to service! Will it be the same with Anna? One thing’s for sure, this All American man is determined to break her self-imposed rule of never mixing business with pleasure – and add some spice into the mix…


United States of Love is available from Amazon, Amazon UK and for all other suppliers through Harper Impulse.


1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hi Sue. Best of luck with your debut. Caroline x