Thursday, October 31, 2013

Author Spotlight - Teresa F Morgan

Welcome to Teresa Morgan, my fellow author at Harper Impulse. I recently finished (and loved) her debut book Plus One is a Lucky Number - it's The Wedding Date plus a whole lot more, and her hero Adam is divine - I want one of him!

1. Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.
I live in sunny Weston-super-Mare, trying to hold onto my Surrey accent where I was born and bred.
For years I persevered with boring jobs, until my two boys joined my nest. In an attempt to find something to work around them, and to ensure I never endured full time boredom again, I found writing.
I’m at my happiest baking cakes, putting proper home cooked dinners on the table (whether the kids eat them or not), reading a good romance, or sitting at my PC emptying my thoughts onto the screen.
I love writing contemporary romance, stories with a touch of escapism and creating heroes readers will fall in love with. Men who in reality, let’s face it, just don’t exist.

2. What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th?(Nora only!)
Plus One is a Lucky Number is my first ever book. It started its journey entering the first chapter into the Mills and Boon New Voice competition in 2010. Although I didn’t come anywhere in the competition, I found myself wanting to write the second chapter, and in the end completing it. It’s had some interesting changes made to it.

3. Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?
Over the past year I’ve had some life dramas as I like to call them, and haven’t been writing steadily and in good habit like I used to. When I’m writing, nothing can draw me away actually. The characters can be talking to me in my head, and I need to sit and get it written. I have to set alarms so I don’t forget to pick up the kids from school. (It once happened, when my youngest was at preschool and I was mortified. From that day on I set an alarm!) I also set alarms to make sure I take regular breaks, to manage my RSI.
Editing is the hard bit. That’s where I have to set myself little rewards at times. I’ll quite easily think, oh I’ll just do this, and that... and before I know it I’ve wasted valuable time procrastinating.

4. What is your top promo tip for other authors?
I’m not sure how well I can answer this question because my book was published in August, and I haven’t even seen my first royalties yet. (Although that may have changed by the time this interview is published). All I will say is that I do hate it when I get followers on Twitter, and I follow them back and then they send me a DM to ask me to check out their book. Argh! I would love to read everybody’s book, but it is physically impossible. They immediately get unfollowed. It’s a social media site. Remember that!
The day I win the lottery I’ll buy everyone’s book... whether I get time to read it or not. Ha ha!

5. How does writing fit into your day? Or does your day fit in around your writing?
This possibly sounds awful, but I leave the stuff, i.e. the housework, to do when the kids are around, because it really doesn’t matter if I get distracted while putting the vacuum cleaner around, or emptying the dishwasher. So then, my free time, whilst the boys are at school, I try to do as much writing related activities as possible. Occasionally some housework needs to be done – like hanging out the washing – but that’s good to break up my time on the PC so that I can manage my RSI.
I want to get into a much better routine with my writing, but adjusting to a new life and home it will come with time.

6. Do you write every day?
I wish! Sadly no... maybe one day. I’m too tired usually after work on Fridays and Saturdays. I try to read instead – it’s what I call a Writing Related Activity.

7. Keeping fit: Do you have an exercise regime to counterbalance all those hours sitting at a computer?
I run four miles two to three times a week – usually. However I’ve had a problem with my hip recently, and I am feeling terribly guilty that I’m not doing much in exercise. I love running – it keeps me fit, clears the cobwebs, and gives me thinking time. It allows me to eat chocolate and drink wine guilt free.

8. Have you ever written a hero you'd be happy to run off with?
I hope all my heroes are the type that everyone would like to run off with! I think that’s the whole point isn’t it? I mean, in reality, men do just let us women down lol!

9. At what point in your career did you actually start to feel like you were a writer?
I still don’t think it’s properly sunk in that I am a writer, and I am published by HarperImpulse. Maybe when I start seeing royalties. Lol! Or I’m on my 100th book.

10. Do you write to music, or with the tv on in the background, or do you need complete silence?
I need complete silence actually. I find music even a distraction. It’s like an interference on the radio. Yet music and films do inspire me and help the plot bunnies grow.


Plus One is a Lucky Number Blurb:

Sophie’s going to a wedding where the invite is strictly plus one… but with her single girl status not exactly fitting in with the bridesmaid dress code, and the best man being none other than the ex she would rather forget, Sophie needs a date and she needs one fast!

Luckily for Sophie, her dreamy but distant co-worker Adam Reid owes their mutual friend James big time…and his gorgeousness more than fills the role of the ‘Perfect Boyfriend’!

As they take off to the sunny shores of Cornwall for the wedding weekend, it’s not long before pretence leads to passion and Sophie and Adam must decide; is their relationship real or is it all for show?


Plus One is a Lucky Number is available from Amazon, Amazon UK, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and for all other suppliers through Harper Impulse.

You can chat to Teresa on her blog, Facebook, Twitter, and check out her website and Goodreads page.



5 comments:

Teresa F Morgan said...

Thank you for having me today :)

Caroline said...

Fab post Teresa. So good to see you here. Best of luck with your book - not that you need it! Caroline x

Teresa F Morgan said...

Thank you, Caroline! I think it's going well. Hard to tell :)

Linn B Halton and Lucy Coleman said...

Lovely interview! It's always nice to meet the 'person' behind the novel. Feel like I've had a peek into your worl, Teresa!

Teresa F Morgan said...

Ahm thanks, Linn. Yes, it is nice to get to know the person behind the photo. Thanks for coming along and reading. xxx