Thursday, September 26, 2013

Author Spotlight - Rachel Brimble


1.              Hi Rachel, welcome to the blog :-) Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.

I’ve been writing for publication since my youngest daughter started school full-time in 2005 and my first book (Searching For Sophie) was published by The Wild Rose Press in 2007. Since then I have written eleven more books, all published or under contract. I am lucky enough to write full-time around my husband, kids and mad black Lab in the beauty of South West England.

2.             What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th?(Nora only!)

A Man Like Him is book number ten – books eleven and twelve will be out in February and March 2014

3.             Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?

I treat my writing like a job – I think anyone who really wants to write and succeed has to do this. It’s really hard sometimes, especially when there are a million and one things vying for your attention, but I tell myself I wouldn’t be able to do them if I was employed out of the home. I write the entire time the kids are at school (from 8.30 til 3.30pm) and then do everything else afterward.

4.             What is your top promo tip for other authors?

I wish I had one! To this date, I am trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t. Answers on a postcard please L

5.             How does writing fit into your day? Or does your day fit in around your writing?

See my answer to question 3!

1.             Is there a book you haven't written yet that you're dying to? What genre?

Always! My next book is always playing on my mind as I work through my current project. I find myself dipping in and out of a file on my computer as more and more scenes, lines of dialogue, character quirks and situations come to mind. I’m contracted for another Superromance  (romantic suspense) which will make five in total and I cannot wait to get to that one…but also my next Victorian, which will definitely be my next project, calls to me every darn day at that moment!

2.             What was the most fun part of writing this book?

The opening three chapters – they are almost an hour-by-hour account of what happened to my family and I when we were caught up in the 2010 French floods. Just like the hero and heroine in A Man Like Him, we were rescued by helicopter from a hotel roof. It was so easy to write those chapters with emotion, lol!

3.             Which of your characters would you like to be?

The characters I would most like to be seem to be from my Victorian romances with Kensington. I relate to them so much – I think it’s because I feel so passionate about women’s rights and the issues women had to face and deal with in the 1800s. There is usually some form of liberation for my heroines in these books.

4.             Have you ever written a hero you'd be happy to run off with?

All of them! I don’t think as romance writers a hero would work for our readers unless our passion for them oozed from the page. My characters are real people to me and my heroes are as attractive, sexy and male as I can make them. I literally fall in love with them…

5.             At what point in your career did you actually start to feel like you were a writer?

When I signed my first contract with Harlequin in 2012 – that was an entirely cry-worthy moment. After writing and learning my craft for seven years and then sign with one of the biggest romance publishers in the US just felt amazing! Of course, to have an advance for the first time ever didn’t hurt either… ;)

A Man Like Him

Changing her life...again 

After two years in hiding, Angela Taylor knows her independence is worth it. As long as she can escape her past, she has everything under control. Until a flash flood hits the park where she works, and hot Chris Forrester shows up the exact moment she needs a hero. 

Chris proves he can save lives-and weaken a girl's knees. But how can she make him understand that she's off-limits, that getting close to her will endanger his life? Her happiness or his safety: it shouldn't even be a choice.

Because when you love someone, you protect them, no matter the cost. At least, that's what Angela keeps telling herself....




Rachel lives with her husband and two young daughters in a small town near Bath in the UK.  After having several novels published by small US presses, she secured agent representation in 2011. In 2012, she sold two books to Harlequin Superromance and a further three in 2013. She also writes Victorian romance for Kensington--her debut was released in April 2013, with book two coming in Feb 2014.
Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family and beloved black Lab, Max. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England.
She likes nothing more than connecting and chatting with her readers and fellow romance writers. Rachel would love to hear from you!
Links:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fifty Shades of Grey is a 2011 erotic romance novel by British author E. L. James. It is the first installment in the Fifty Shades trilogy that traces the deepening relationship between a college graduate, Anastasia Steele, and a young business magnate, Christian Grey. It is notable for its explicitly erotic scenes featuring elements of sexual practices involving bondage/discipline, dominance/submission, and sadism/masochism
I can't wait for the movie. I loved the books. I should agree this is the best written books.
Movie soon ...Fifty Shades Of Grey Movie
Thanks For Sharing...
the movie fifty shades

Kathy Bosman said...

Rachel, I absolutely adore the cover of your new book. I think it's so romantic! All the best with your super romance.

Rachel Brimble said...

Hi Stella - not sure what the 50 Shades connection is to my post, but nice to see you here, lol!

Hi Kathleen - lovely to 'meet' you! I couldn't stop smiling when the cover dropped into my inbox. I was thrilled! The fact Harlequin came up with something so romantic from something so traumatic is fabulous :)

Rachel x