Thursday, July 18, 2013

Author Spotlight - Sandra Harris



Born in the far north of Australia, yearly cyclones, floods and being cut off from civilization for weeks at a time were the norm. An outrageous imagination helped occupy Sandra’s mind.

An abiding interest in astronomy and a deep-seated need to always see the good guys win naturally influences her writing. Not satisfied with the amount of romance in science fiction novels she set out to redress the balance.

She currently lives in sunny South East Queensland, Australia, with her husband and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who doesn’t seem to realize she comes from royalty and should act in a more appropriate manner.

Sandra's homes on the web:


Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.


I was born and bred in Far North Queensland. Astronomy is my first love. Animal charities rank high on my donation list.

What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th?(Nora only!)

This is my debut book.

Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?

Ah, shoe shopping—stop distracting me. Actually, my CP and I have a virtual ‘office’ where we meet most days via Skype. When one of us has a character misbehaving or needs to brainstorm, we’re right there for each other. Knowing the other is relying on you to show up keeps us on track.

What is your top promo tip for other authors?

I engaged a professional to organise my promotional work.

How does writing fit into your day? Or does your day fit in around your writing?

My preferred method is to get up early, deal with FB, blog, emails etc. Then find time for breakfast, make a cup of coffee and get to the ‘office’ where my CP will join me and we’ll crack on. Mostly I try to make my day fit around my writing, but there are times when necessity rules and my writing must fit around my day.

Which blog(s) do you read regularly?

Astronomy Picture of the Day. Helene Young. Writer Beware. Kristen Lamb.

Any craft books you recommend?

Debra Dixon’s Goal, Motivation & Conflict

Keeping fit: Do you have an exercise regime to counterbalance all those hours sitting at a computer?

Ah yes, my personal trainer comes in the form of my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She reminds me from about two o’clock onwards that I need to get up and move about, preferably in the nearby koala park.

Just for fun: a year from the end of the book, where would your couple go on holiday?

As my hero and heroine are very active in helping to keep their part of the Galaxy free from the depredations of a particularly ruthless species, they would go home to their house in the mountainous region of the hero’s home planet. There they would enjoy the peace and each other.

At what point in your career did you actually start to feel like you were a writer?

This is quite a tricky question. I have felt like a writer for some time now. Whether I’ll be a successful writer (no doubt something we all dream of) only the future will tell.

Alien, Mine

THE BLUTHEN HAVE ONE CONSUMING PASSION: THEMSELVES.
IN THEIR EXPANSION ACROSS THE GALAXY, THEY WILL GO TO ANY LENGTHS TO DOMINATE SPECIES THEY ENCOUNTER.


Torn from modern day Earth and stranded on the far side of the Galaxy, Sandrea Fairbairn must use every particle of courage she possesses to adjust to her new life and live for tomorrow/a new day.


Eugen Mhartak, a general in the Tri-Race Alliance Army, refuses to bow to the merciless Bluthen. Haunted by the loss of far too many innocent lives he has vowed to drive the ruthless invaders from Alliance space.

The strength and valour of Eugen Mhartak attracts Sandrea as no man ever has, but she struggles to read the enigmatic general’s heart. Determined to help him triumph over the Bluthen she uncovers a diabolical plot against the Alliance.

Drawn by the courage and exotic beauty of Sandrea, Mhartak battles to overcome the barriers of cross-cultural differences that separate them and claim her ardent interest. He must conquer his deepest fears to be the man she needs. When his principles are betrayed by his own government and he is faced with the impossible prospect of taking Sandrea’s life in order to save his home planet, Mhartak desperately searches for a way to keep safe both his world and the magnificent woman who has stolen his heart.


SoulMate Publishing        Amazon      Amazon UK

2 comments:

Nas said...

I loved reading all your answers Sandra! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the release of ALIEN, MINE and all the best!

Thanks Minxes!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Nas :) and thank you to the Minxes for hosting me. :)