Friday, April 27, 2012

Keep Dreaming...

You know that saying – "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"? That has never been more true or real to me than in the last two weeks. As some of you may know, (sorry if you're hearing this one too many times!) I sold to Harlequin M&B recently. But amid the euphoria of realising my dream, it occurred to me how easily all this could’ve come to nothing if I'd given up, given in or let myself be discouraged along the way.

Believe me, I've certainly come close in the past. Just before and after my second full rejection, I had several weeks of "what's the point?-ness", where my motivation was reduced to nil. It would've been so easy to throw the towel in and just give up.

Luckily, I have very supportive group of people around me who would ask, "So, how's the writing going? or, "Have you written anything lately? Tell me about it." My CPs also helped loads, often times indirectly. Sometimes just by being around someone who is excited about their own writing can give you the kick up the backside you need. If you don't have this background support, reading your favourite writer's latest book can induce envy, yes, but it can also get your juices flowing in ways nothing else can.

The moral of this story is, if I'd given up when the road seemed too tough, or the rejections too heart-breaking, I wouldn’t have sold. It's that simple.

So by all means, cry about those setbacks, moan, gorge on chocolate and cookies, use your laptop to watch endless YouTube clips of stunning, successful people while eating more cookies. But do it with the firm proviso that you're taking a break, recharging the batteries.

What you must not do is give up! Remember how many rejections JK Rowling received before she sold her first Harry Potter?

Exactly!

Keep Dreaming!

Keep writing!

Because it does happen.

And the odds are way better than winning the lottery, although that would be nice, too, lol.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maya, well done and you're so right. Unfortunately, I can't back you up and say I've been accepted and Maya is so right, but even so, I can see your reasoning and know you're correct. As a writer, you work damned hard to get a manuscript ready for a publisher and that work, until you're accepted, is never good enough. It IS bad for the soul and for the focus and confidence, we can't give up. Simple as that. :) x Thanks Maya for the reminder to stay strong and good luck with your first M&B book! x

Sri Pammi said...

Nice post, Maya...and seeing a friend who's worked hard to get there finally get there is also incredibly rewarding and encouraging!!! :-)

Kate Reedwood and Felicity Kates said...

Exactly!!!! And your perseverence is such a credit to your desire to reach your dream. I can't express how happy I am for you!!! Or can I? I did try to in my blog, but it's never the same as giving someone a big hug and screaming into their ear, "YOU DID IT. YOU ROCK!" :)
Soooo excited for you. Really!