Monday, February 13, 2012

Love is in the air...

Well, as it's the eve of Valentine's Day and this is a romance blog, I reckon a little bit of love-chat is in order.

Let's start with a traditional limerick, just in case you're stuck for a ditty for your loved ones card....

I love you, I love you, I love you almighty,
I wish your pyjamas were next to my nightie,
But don't be misguided, don't be misled,
I mean on the washing line not in the bed!


Those silly romantic rhymes always make me smile, along with the romantic wartime acronyms across the back of scented envelopes. B.U.R.M.A anyone? Be undressed ready my angel, for those who might not know. There's plenty more, from the well known S.W.A.L.K to the lesser known B.O.L.T.O.P.
I won't spoil it for you!
The notion of love letters makes me wistful. We are so technologically minded these days that I can't imagine many people take the time to physically write and post a letter, but how lovely would it be to receive one? The fact that it's so out of step with the way we live today only serves to make it all the more romantic - an email could never compare.

I've been trying to think of romantic quotes, and I guess the ultimate one is 'Love means never having to say you're sorry,' from Love Story. But you know what? It confuses me. Does it mean you should never hurt the one you love and therefore won't need to say sorry, or does it mean when you love someone you never need to say it because they will already know? Or does it mean something else altogether?

As romantic movies go, I recently watched Moonstruck for the first time. It's been on my list for ever, and it arrived in my Christmas stocking this year, courtesy of my husband who'd dug around on ebay and found an old copy for me because he knew I wanted it. (There's romance for you right there. He's a keeper.)
It's a fave amongst the other minxes, and now it's a favourite of mine too. I really, really loved it. It's clever, and funny, and beautiful to watch and listen to. Nicolas Cage is amazing in it, the way he delivers his lines makes my heart melt. If you haven't seen it, honestly, get it.

This romantic quote knocks Love Story's into fits for me...

"Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and die. The storybooks are bullshit. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and get in my bed."




And finally, Congratulations to Susan Saxx, who is the lucky winner of a copy of Helen Lacey's Special Edition debut 'Made for Marriage'.  Please  drop Helen a line with your details.

3 comments:

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

Why have I never seen Moonstruck?! I'm in a desperate state now because I really, really want to. Looks fab! And I'd forgotten I had a teeny weeny thing about Nick Cage ...

Sally Clements said...

Shame on you, miss Rachel! Go get Moonstruck immediately!!! (Moonstruck addict here). Seriously though, I love it. Theres such lovely imagery in it...the moon, the sugar lumps in champagne, the bread kneading...sigh...
I watched the kings speech last night, what a fab movie!

Kat said...

Haha Rach, I will join you in a guilty pleasures crush on Nicolas Cage.
It's a gorgeous movie, def get it if you can.
x