Monday, January 23, 2012

Read or Write?

I haven't finished reading a single book yet in the new year and we're almost through January. This is because I've been concentrating on getting some writing done and I haven't yet figured out how to do both in a given day.

 Reading is a bit of a weakness for me..or a big one actually...I start reading, and if turns out to be engrossing...I can't put it down...I've slept only a couple of hours countless times and got up to go to work because I'd spent yet another night unable to stop reading....and faced the day looking like a ghoul...
And since I want to make a head start into the year and get some much needed writing done, I've been kinda scared to start reading something that I know will suck me in...

And time's really limited, so at the end of the day- it's coming down to read or write? and I've been picking write over the past three weeks..But I have no doubt the long clutches of my TBR pile will suck me in and will surrender to the reading one of these nights and pull an all nighter...

How about you? Do you read when you're in the midst of a writing binge? Or is  reading a good book your reward once you've achieved your writing goals?


PS - Don't forget you have up to Friday 27 January to win a copy of Once A Ferrara Wife by Sarah Morgan. Just leave a comment in the reivew post telling us the best book you read in 2011. Good luck!

7 comments:

Maria said...

I'm usually reading an ebook during my computer time and a 'real' book when I get a bit of time to relax. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm going awfully slow these days, though.

Rachael Johns said...

I'm similar! Been writing lots (and editing) lately so not much reading is getting done. I miss it :(

Maya Blake said...

I know what you mean about getting sucked into reading! One way I cope is to reward myself with reading after I do the writing. And reading on the train to work (like I did this morning) makes me feel not so deprived!

Natalie Charles said...

I completely relate! I wrote a lot over the past few months, and now I'm taking a break from writing to read. I think reading great books is critical to writing well, so I justify the time off from writing by calling it "research". ;-)
But it's sooo much easier to read than to write...that's the trap!

Olivia Miles said...

Free time is so precious! If I am seriously writing for a deadline then I do not pause to do anything else, reading included. However, if I am writing without a pressing deadline, I do read daily, even it is just reading a little bit before bed and after I have already done my writing for the day...and then I usually fall asleep after 10 or 15 pages. You must pick some really good books if they keep you awake all night!!

Sri Pammi said...

Seems like everyone feels the same way...:-)

Amanda Holly said...

Oh dear I think you may have uncovered the ugly truth about my writing hiatus! I'm a readaholic! I just can't stop! Every time I read a book I like I scour the net looking for other books by the same author or even books recommended by that author! I'll have to start weaning myself off ... slowly mind you!