Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Author Spotlight - Michele Hauf

For those readers who like to walk on the dark side, we have paranormal romance author Michele Hauf in the spotlight today. Michele's latest release, This Glamorous Evil, is out this month through Harlequin's Nocturnal Cravings.

What is your writing process?
It's pretty much the same daily. I write in the mornings and early afternoons because that's when my brain is still fresh, and I come to the computer with ideas I may have sorted through my dreams the night previous.

Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?
Well, I go shoe shopping. ;-) Usually, I'll make myself write a scene that needs to be done, then reward myself with the shopping. I know that if there are days I feel compelled to be anywhere other than behind the keyboard, that it's best to honor that feeling and just go with it. My muse loves me for that.

Keeping fit: Do you have an exercise regime to counterbalance all those hours sitting at a computer?
I wish! I do sit on one of those big exercise balls, and once in a while, when I think of it, I'll bounce. Which is like a minute total every day. I do not like to exercise, but have the yoga mat sitting in the other room in case the urge strikes. Which rarely happens. I do force myself to get up at least every hour, walk to the kitchen, maybe make some tea. Just to move a bit.

Do you believe in writer's block?
Not really. I don't think the muse works a regular 9-to-5 shift, so when she's really feeding you the ideas, take advantage of it, and when not, then don't freak about it. Really, just let it come when it wants to come. And if you feel blocked, at least for me, then I know I'm forcing it, or have too much on my plate to deal with. That's when shoe shopping comes in handy. ;-)

Have you ever used an incident from real life in a book? If so, did it get you into trouble?
I use real life incidents often, and no, I've never gotten in trouble. I always think readers are least likely to believe the true stuff, and more likely to believe the made up stuff. I would never reveal what is based on truth and what is not, though.

In what way is being a published writer different to how you thought it would be?
The business work involved is immense. Lots of self-promotion marketing, talking about yourself (I hate that!), and generally being a public figure to represent your book when really, I'm very shy and all that stuff freaks me out.

Promotion is no longer a dirty word. In what ways do you strive to reach more readers?
I am everywhere online, with a website, blog (a few blogs actually), Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Tumblr, a group blog. Are you sick of me yet? ;-)

What is your top promo tip for other authors?
Just be available online to answer reader emails and keep the cyber conversation going.

What did you learn while writing this book?
I actually gained another story while writing This Glamorous Evil. I knew the hero, Thoroughly Jones had a twin brother, Certainly Jones. As I was writing this, Certainly's story came to me in bits and pieces, and I'm working on that as I write this.

What was the most fun part of writing this book?
The heroine is a cat-shifting familiar whose job is having sex to summon demons to this realm. Do you see where some interesting and fun scenarios could develop because of that? But also, the fact she wanted to have 'real' sex with a man instead of 'work' sex made for a fun story.

And just for fun: what would your hero’s honeymoon destination of choice be?
Uh, he's originally from London, so he might take Star there and show her around his old haunts.

What does the closure of Nocturne Bites and the advent of Nocturne Cravings mean for you, and has the change affected your writing process or the stories themselves in any way?
Doesn't affect my writing. Both lines are novella-length, so if I would contract with the Cravings it would be for a short story. Cravings are about 5K longer than the Bites were, and a little more sexy, but it's all good. ;-)


About the book:
Throughly Jones (T.J.) is a witch who practices dark magic and is desperate to rescue his brother from Daemonia. He needs to circumvent the usual methods to conduct demons because he's after a big catch. But will cat-shifting familiar, Star, agree to cut out the middle man and work exclusively with T.J.? That would involve them having sex to conduct a demon. But she wants a real relationship, without 'work sex' getting in the way. Can the two share the most intimate of connections to get the rescue job done, or will love toss a kink into their plans?

* * *

Thanks, Michele!

This Glamorous Evil is available on Amazon, Amazon UK and Harlequin (as well as all your other usual Harlequin suppliers).

Michele also has a Christmas-themed Vampire story in Harlequin's A Vampire for Christmas anthology, and her novel Kiss Me Deadly is available as a free read from Try Harlequin. Go on, give it a try. You might just get hooked!

To view Michele's impressive full back list, click here.

* * *

Check back here on Friday, same time, same place, as we have a fantastic surprise guest appearing on the blog.

5 comments:

Maya Blake said...

I’m liking the premise of your book, Michele *fans self* and I especially love your MC’s unique name. I’m only a recent inductee into paranormal reading and I have your free read on my Kindle, which I’m loving, btw. Great to have you here today :)

Kat said...

Hey Michele, thanks for being fabulously minxy with us today! I love the sound of your latest book, will whizz over to amazon to check it out....
Jo
x

Sri Pammi said...

I love the premise, Michelle and I love the names, Thoroughly and Certainly...

I'm a huge paranormal fan which means I have to read this....

Sutton Fox said...

Ditto what sri said. :) Whew, what's not to love? On my way to check it out now.

Michele Hauf said...

Thanks for having me here today, ladies!

Maya, I had so much fun with a hero named Thoroughly. ;-) And his brother Certainly is proving as much fun. I wonder what their sister, Merrily, would think?