Friday, April 22, 2011

Celebrating Life!

Today is Earth Day, that one day a year when we celebrate the planet that gives up all life, and hopefully do a little something to preserve it so we can keep on living here. (I don't really fancy Mars, do you?)

My passion is rain forests, the lungs that keep us all breathing. I love treed places, and that almost spiritual quiet you can hear when walking in a wood or forest.

Tsitsikamma Forest, Knysna, South Africa
I'd like to know what aspect of this amazing planet holds special meaning for you. A serene garden you love to sit in? A beach you visited as a child? The Antarctic?

Finally, I'd like to recommend a great way we can all give back to the environment, at very little cost to ourselves. Greater Good is a charity organisation with an online store that offers some really great products, made from sustainable materials, benefitting local communities, and the money goes to worthy causes. So next time you're looking for a gift for a friend, or just looking to spoil yourself, take a wander through their store.

Let's make every day Earth Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an utterly beautiful picture, Romy! Although sunny beaches are great, I prefer the cool, quiet of a shady forest.

Happy Earth Day!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Great post, Romy - and that photo's stunning.

I love the hills and lochs of my adopted country (Scotland) - although, the Welsh countryside is lovely, too.

Sally Clements said...

Lovely pic, Romy. And the post is good too!